Why it’s important to drink water
Water makes up 60-70% of our body weight and as the body can’t store water, keeping hydrated is, therefore, essential for the correct functioning of the body. We get the majority of our water from what we drink and this water is used to:
- help eliminate the body’s waste products through sweating and passing of urine;
- help with muscle growth and repair after sport as a) 75% of muscle mass is water; b) water counteracts the hormone cortisol which breaks down muscle tissue;
- improve the skin’s texture and appearance giving you a radiant, healthy, younger- looking complexion;
- moisten mucous membranes such as those of the eyes, nose and mouth;
- lubricate and cushion joints.
How much should we drink?
An average adult should consume between 1.2 and 2 litres (6-10 glasses) of water a day depending on body weight. Water consumption should be increased in certain cases such as:
- When exercising as the body is working hard to regulate body temperature through sweating;
- In all other situation where the body is losing above average amounts of water through sweat such as when living in a hot climate or when feverish;
- In pregnancy and during breastfeeding. Suggested daily intake is 2.1l for pregnant women rising to 3.1l for breastfeeding mothers.
Drinking an adequate amount of water on a daily basis is crucial for overall good health. Zerica water coolers can help achieve this and help you to maintain a strong and healthy body.